Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bathroom Light

[description: a nude figure stands in a bathroom bathed in diffuse window light]

I took these pictures just today - they're the first of the new year! It was very spontaneous, and started - like so many of my shoots - when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

Some people may think it's narcissistic, but when you're a self-portrait photographer, you are your own muse, and nothing inspires the creative imagination like actually being able to see your muse. I can imagine that if I hung around another model frequently, I'd be constantly checking her out, and snapping pictures of her, and getting inspired.

But that's another one of the challenges of self-portraiture. I often feel as though I'd benefit from having a talented photographer hanging around me a lot, but since I'm so introverted, the chances of finding someone like that that I'm also comfortable with having around me that much are slim.

But in the meantime, I find it helps my creative process enormously to have lots of mirrors lying around the house, so I have ample opportunities to check myself out and become inspired.

Here's another shot that's just for fun:

[description: a nude figure in the bathroom confronts an erection appearing at chest height]