Thursday, June 14, 2012

Judge What I Do, Not What I Say

I usually view my own liberalism in a pretty positive light. But every once in awhile, my mind is clouded by a paranoid doubt, fuelled by a lifetime of social brainwashing, that leads me to question whether the sort of people who think liberty is equivalent to anarchy may be right - and that I may be heading down a bad path to becoming a dangerous person because I don't adhere to a conservative moral code. But the one thing that always saves me from that pit of despair is the knowledge - which I see evidence for everyday, all around me - that conservatively minded individuals are constantly committing atrocious evils I wouldn't be capable of even were I given the opportunity, and they're getting away with it, because those acts are justified by those same conservative morals (see: slavery, lynchings, spousal abuse, gay bashing, bullying, slut shaming, clitoridectomy, honor killings, etc.).

Well, you know what? To those people I just want to say, "fuck you!" What does it matter what our beliefs look or feel like, regardless of whether we're liberal or conservative? What matters is how we treat other people. So I don't want to hear your petty arguments about what acts my beliefs might lead hypothetical evil people to commit, when evil people of all beliefs commit evil acts (by the very nature of their evilness), and with the understanding that, like the similar case that just because some people justify their evil acts with bible passages doesn't mean everyone who follows the bible acts evilly, that just because somebody might use my liberal beliefs to commit evil doesn't mean that I intend to behave the same way, or that there is no good in those things I believe in, that some others have perverted and corrupted to suit their evil designs.

To simplify my point, it doesn't make a damn difference whether you support monogamous relationships bound by the institution of Christian marriage, while forbidding premarital sex, or if you intend to have a dozen wives, sampling each one before you marry her, or if you want to rent access to your body to strangers on the street, or if you engage in ritual orgies around a bonfire in the woods late at night, or whatever else you believe in or however else you choose to live your life. What matters is how you treat other people. And if you treat people poorly, what the hell difference does it make that you're "a good Christian" who values "the wholesome virtue of chastity"? You're a bad person. But if you treat people well, then what the hell difference does it make if you believe that people should be allowed to fornicate openly in the public square? You're a good person. And fuck anyone who tries to tell you differently just because your beliefs are 'weird' or, worse yet, 'disgusting'.